Sunday, April 06, 2008

WT Week 3: Skirts


  1. Torture Devices.
    Some of my skirts have the same problem as my pants in that they are too loose but other than that, no torture devices. Above all, skirts do not reflect excess fabric as “droopy crotches." Yea!

  2. Velveteen Rabbits.
    I have no skirts that will be coming to life anytime soon. I did however make this skirt from some near-to-life velveteen pants.


  3. Superstars.
    I love full skirts and must admit I only have one right now. But what a skirt it is! I actually bought it at Anthropologie, so you know it had to be a great sale if I not only bought this one but also another skirt. This skirts falls from the waist to a skirt with multiple triangular inserts (
    godets) that add volume. I have not tried to measure the circumference but maybe one day I will.



    Skirt spread out a bit.

    Here is a picture of a slightly similar* skirt to give you an idea of what it looks like worn, except mine isn't tied or bunched up.



    Unfortunately, this skirt is a Superstar without a worthy top to go with it. For a funky look, I might make a Stitch Alabama corset to wear with it but for a classic look, I am stumped. Help?




  4. Stalwart Staples.
    My black bouclé Isaac Mizrahi (Target) skirt, when I bought it it was a size too large (on sale) so I decided it would be a low-rider skirt. However, now it is two sizes too large and practically spins around my body like a hula-hoop. My red sueded cotton skirt. A brown knit pull-on skirt from where else but New York & Co. A pleated and belted bell-shaped khaki beauty from Anthropologie. I love this skirt but I need more Superstar tops to go with it. Good thing, this year I will definitely wear my brown ones because of my new brown leather Miz Mooz pumps.




  5. Sentimental Journeys.
    These are the two elastic waist skirts: one brown with mini-polka dots and the other in a great geometric print. I love these skirts and I still marvel at their construction. These are elastic waist skirts that do not look like it when on. They were made years ago from this 1997 Vogue American Designer wardrobe pattern by Marc Jacobs. You can tell from the sketch and picture how short they were originally.


    Even though I added an inch to the length, I had to take down the hem later to wear them. Then when my waist grew bigger, I unrolled the skirt waistband a bit. Yes, I was desperate to keep these skirts in rotation. Therefore, I have to redraw this pattern so I can use it many, many times. I already found the fabric to replace the print; it even has the same feel, which had a great body to it. I also made the top, (it was pictured under the purple floral top here.)


  6. Mysteries of the Lost Shopping Trip.
    None, they already went in the Goodwill box last year. Hurrah!

The Plan:


I would like to add skirts in more joyful colors like green, blue, more red, and orange for a particular pair of shoes. I want to use some patterned fabrics also, some modern in both silhouettes and some with a more vintage vibe for the full skirts.


I have a vintage light blue eyelet dress with a full skirt that I keep meaning to cut and make into a stand-alone skirt. If it works, it will be the most pretty and feminine thing I will own. Especially, with my petticoat underneath.

* Funny that I have a necklace like that one too.
Credit: Ad from California Closets. Yeah, strange, they have the best outfits in their ads though.

1 comment:

drwende said...

The bunched version of the skirt may be Banana Republic -- it's the only product of theirs that I've ever been tempted to buy.

I see I'm not the only person who was gaining length on skirts by letting them rest lower on the hips, figuring that the trend of wearing t-shirts "out" over the skirt means it doesn't matter. :-)