Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Big 4 0

I want to do something for my birthday this year. This is a BIG one. I want to do something that makes me feel like I can change the trajectory of my life from flat-lining to an uptick. I have no connection to this age I'm about to become...it just doesn't feel real to me.

The age doesn't compute to all the things I still have yet to do in my life that I thought would have at least been attempted by now. I'm in arrested development and if it was 30, 10 years younger, THEN it would feel right.

I wish I could ask my friends to go along with a deception and pretend that I'm turning 30 next week. But the reason I like them is that they do not live in fantasy worlds. Damn them! Damn their responsible souls!

So, my birthday snuck up on me. Or I've been trying not to think about it, maybe? I have no plans. I wanted to get a lot of unfinished stuff from last year (2008= ick, pooey, ick!) done. But there's no way that will all be completed in a few days.

I am thinking of holding a brunch next weekend in my apartment so my friends could bring their partners and their kids; therefore, allowing more people to come than could come to a nighttime dinner out someplace. But I'll have to rearrange my crowded living room in order for this to happen. I would also like my place to look more adult cohesive and less college student smorgasbord too. I'll be writing about getting my place together on SHELTER this next week so check me out over there.

Oh, if you have any quick and cheap brunch recipes, feel free to send those my way. Wish me luck!

9 comments:

Antoinette said...

Say what? If you had told me you were turning 30, from your profile photo, I would have believed it. You look at least 10 years younger than you are!

A birthday brunch sounds delightful. I am a crepe fanatic and have done many crepe buffets in my adulthood -- a variety of veggies, fruits, Nutella of course, etc. Appeals to both adults and kids.

The now-defunct Domino has a backlog of great ideas for brunch recipes. I have used a couple of them before. Maybe check here: http://www.dominomag.com/howtos/recipes/party/search

When's your actual birthday?

~S said...

Happy Birthday Fellow Aquarius!!!!!
May I suggest mini quiches. You can make them in the mini cupcake foils, with: chopped veggies or turkey sausage or ham & of course cheese.

Anne At Large said...

I am a fan of Orangette's frittata recipe, it's filling, tasty and not too hard to make. I like a mix of cheddar and parmesan on top and whatever veggies look good on the inside - zucchini and red bell peppers and mushrooms etc.

lsaspacey said...

Antoinett: Thanks! Yea, my whole family is blessed that way. My sister's are 12 & 13 older than me but you wouldn't believe it either. The only thing that hints to me being older is I'm seriously gray in the front. I'll try to get a more recent picture up here soon. I just like that one so much and it was taken during the best 6 months of my life; when I was happy while being single, without any local friends, AND unemployed. In fact, I should write about that some time.

My birthday is next Tuesday, on the 3rd.

lsaspacey said...

Shonda and Ann: Mini quiches or a frittata does sound perfect. It also cuts down on how many things will need to be kept warm in the oven if the eggs, meat, and veggies are in there already. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

No WAY are you almost as old as I am :) Happy birthday!

MsMica said...

I swear, please don’t be mad if I take your first three paragraphs and pretend like I wrote them!
I just turned 37 a few weeks ago and I swear it should have been 27... That was probably the most eloquent description of exactly how I feel about myself and my age... right down to wanting your place to look more “adult cohesive and less college student smorgasbord”
MsM

Claire said...

I made this quiche recently and it was simple and delicious and good re-heated:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=491421

Best of luck on your birthday plans!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

I love doing brunch for my birthday. A big hit, but a lot of work, is cider donuts (or any homemade donuts). Mmmm, fried food....