Monday, March 05, 2012

4. Twisted Drape Top - Irmchen (Burdastyle)


Pattern: Burdastyle "Let's Twist Again..." pattern by Irmchen

Pattern Description: Loose, asymmetrical top with twisted side draping and over-long sleeves.

Pattern Sizing: German size 42, according to directions

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing it? YES!

Were the instructions easy to follow? So easy there weren't any provided!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It has a simple shape, yet when made up it is unusual and was an extremely easy and fast sew. I like that in clothes. The pattern fit perfectly on 2 yards of fabric and this resulted in two fairly large pieces leftt from the area under the arms. I will try to make a few tank tops with those.

Fabric Used: 2 yards of "Antique Brass" jersey knit from Fabric Mart, on sale for $1.99 a yard! (feels fabulous too), matching Gutermann 100% polyester thread in #870, Goldston, also on sale at a Jo-Ann liquidation sale for 57 cents.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: The only change I made was to lengthen the sleeves as much as I could when I cut it out. This caused a bit of a problem when the sleeves became too tight towards the wrists and I had to change the seam allowances from 5/8" to 1/4". I will adjust the pattern to increase the sleeve width, as it is now, there is constriction of movement and twisted seams (as seen in 1st and 3rd pictures below). The pictures were taken before I fully decreased the seam allowance.




I don't own a serger, so I use an old fashioned way to sew knits, I sew a small narrow zig-zag while trying not to stretch the fabric. I then went over that stitching a second time for stability. The sleeve and bottom hems were folded over 1/4" twice and slip stitched. I fused strips of knit interfacing to the neckline to add some stability, then folded it over twice and slip stitched. From experience, I believe this is the best way to avoid having puckered or wavy hems.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes! This item is so quick to make, the only thing that took time was my hand stitching of the hems. I like this style so much, I will probably also try Burdastyle's Twister dress by apfelbulete, which has a similar pattern design.


Julie Park unbalanced boat sweaters

Conclusion: I now have a top that resembles my inspiration pics. The pattern is ripe for alterations involving the degree of the twist and the amount of loose fabric. Best of all, the price of this top (not including tape and printer paper costs), was under $5.00!

Images: my own photos, JPark Clothing (2)

4 comments:

immi meyer said...

You make me happy! :-)
You are the first person ever (except for apfelbluete) who finished a top using my pattern!
And your version looks really good!

Immi :-*

lsaspacey said...

Immi,

Wow, I am so surprised that I'm the first to make and post about it! Well, I think after others see this, I won't be the only one. I know I will be making many more, unlike the ones in my inspiration pics this one has just enough drape under the arms that I can still wear something over it and that's a great thing to have. I love it, thanks!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Totally cool top! Love the look on you.

Anonymous said...

this is so cute!!!