Monday, December 10, 2012

Unique Sewing-related Boo Boo...


Last Friday night, I tested out my newly sharpened pinking shears. I grabbed about six of my completed garments and finally finished the seams satisfactorily. I had a bit of difficulty with the thicker corduroy pieces but just applied more pressure to power through the layers. At the time, I did feel a bit of numbness in my right thumb but I just kept going until done.

Three days later, the middle and interior side of my thumb still feels numb. Not completely numb but about 50% of it is. Sometimes I think it's healing and I have more feeling and then suddenly it's numb again. I've tried warm to hot water, shaking my arm around to boost circulation, and trying to keep weight off of it but nothing has worked. I did a Google search and loads of people have the same issue but no one has found a definite explanation or a surefire solution. It's not carpel tunnel but consensus is that the nerve has been bruised and that time is the only healer. As this is my right hand that I use for typing, hand sewing, cutting (scissor or rotary) this is a bit of a problem.

Update: I realize from the comments that I should have said I'm not feeling any pain. I can use my hand (and thumb) like normal, it just feels weird.

Updated update: It took a little over a month for full feeling to come back to my thumb. Strange.
Has this happened to any of you before?

5 comments:

Kay said...

not really.. however I have had carpel tunnel syndrome. Sorry to hear about your pain! :(

Can you try icepacks? and later when your hands are up to it, using a squeeze ball / stress ball.

DawnSSL said...

Praying that it heals quickly!

Audrey said...

I had the something similar in my thumb from using my computer mouse. I finally had to get an injection and sleep with a thumb brace at night. It is doing fairly well, but it still gets sore with a lot of use. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I get something similar sounding from over-doing the knitting.....heat (those things that you warm in the microwave are good) and massage (thumb against the pulse inside wrist spot, fingers on the back of the wrist, rub up and down) either help or are just comforting. Hope it goes away soon......

Cecilia

Juliet said...

That sounds freaky! If I were you I'd be popping off to the doctors just to be super sure. Plus, if they can fix it quickly then you won;t need to kepp worrying. I do hope you regain feeling soon though!