Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Summer Walking Shorts - Vogue 2532


Pattern: Vogue 2532 c. 2001

Pattern Description: Shorts, micro-mini, above mid-knee, below mid-knee or straight-legged pants have waistband, carriers, in-seam pockets and mock-fly zipper. A,B,C,D: side slits and stitched hems. E: cuffs. Purchased top and belt. I made the above mid-knee view.

Pattern Sizing: (12-14-16) I chose a size 16 which actually did match my measurements and the finished garment measurements were just right.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing it? Yes, mostly. However, I did not construct the side slits and did a blind hem instead of the visible one they suggest.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I wanted a pair of slim walking shorts, the opposite of my almost skirt-like pair. I also learned a new faux fly zipper technique that I will be using again which resulted in my best looking zip ever, exterior and interior. The only thing I didn't like was that they are too long waisted. However, that could have been fixed if I had made a muslin.


Fabric Used: A 44/45" madras cotton print FREE from the VA/DC/MD blogger swap, 7" Robin zipper in Lead Blue, thread, fusible knit interfacing, and a snap closure.

Isn't that a gorgeous inside zipper view?
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made?: I did not mean to make any alterations but when it got to making the side slits I decided to just make a simple straight hem. I think because the pattern was specifically drafted for those slits is why I had to ease the hem around and use steam to shrink the puckers. I really liked the zipper application, it was a different way to do a faux fly, worked smoothly, and looks great.


For the waistband I decided to forgo the pattern instructions to trim the corner of the seam allowance at an angle and instead followed this great Perfect Corners on Waistbands tutorial from Lisa G. at Notes From a Mad Housewife instead. And yes, they turned out perfect!


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes and yes. 

Conclusion: I adore this fabric, it's a mystery but it has such a soft yet firm hand I would not be surprised if this were my first silk/cotton mix. Luckily, I have enough left to make a top from next summer. Too bad that the front crotch length was too long. If only I had checked more closely. I could possibly take off the waistband and replace it after cutting one inch or so from the top of the shorts if I also shorten the zipper from the top by an inch. I may* do that next summer, this year I'll just pretend I meant to make high-waisted shorts.

Images: My own, McCall Patterns

*knowing me, probably NOT.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those shorts, there is hard to find a good walking short and yours are great. I love plaid and you did a great job. By the way, isn't high waisted in style?!

Audrey said...

Great looking shorts. The fit is wonderful (can't tell the crotch is too long from the photo)and the zipper and waist band look perfect. The mention of the fabric source got me remembering the meet up and what a fun time that was.

mrsmole said...

You can still shorten the front from the inseam. Open it up from one leg to the other for about 12 inches or more, then slide the front beyond the seam allowance the amount you want, say 3/4 - 1 inch and stitch the seam back together. Try on the pants and see if that did not solve the droopy front section. If it didn't you didn't have to go through too many hoops to check.Some times the front and back can be taken in the same amount if they both droop equally.

honigdesign said...

Great, great job, especially working with that plaid! Perfect looking zip too!

a little sewing said...

wow, I recognized that fabric the minute I saw it. I originally purchased it to make a shirt for my stepson, but he didn't care for it. I love it madeup as shorts!!
That was a fun meetup.