Monday, May 26, 2014

They Are NOT Pajamas!* Pants - New Look 6216

Pattern: New Look 6216 c. 2013

Pattern Description: Misses' pull-on pants with drawstring waist and easy knit top with scoop neck and short all-in-one sleeves or higher neckline with 3/4 dolman sleeves.

Pattern Sizing: Size A (8-18) I chose size 14. 
 
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing it? Yes, though I did eliminate the drawstring detail.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very much.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I was searching for a pant designed with an elastic waistband that didn't look like yoga or pajama pants. There are many similar patterns out there right now but the final versions that I saw on patternreview.com convinced me to try this one. Plus, cute tops with cut-on sleeves!



Fabric Used: 2 yards stretch cotton poplin in Claret from Fabric Mart ($1.99 a yard), thread, and two yards 1/2" elastic.


 

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made? I decided to cut this pair as is, no alterations. I ended up liking the pattern, especially the quick and dirty installation for the slash pockets. So simple, so smart. (see pic)

Since I was sewing from the stash, I had to zigzag two lengths of elastic together to make the 1 in wide needed for the pattern. That was a mistake, the elastic tends to fold over itself. I will replace it when possible.


When I make these again, in order to fit my particular body, I will slash and spread to add 1" to the back crotch length and eliminate the same amount on the front by dipping the front waistline. Surprisingly, it seems the trousers were designed to sit just below the natural waistline but they are too tall in the front for me.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I will definitely make this pattern again. I love how simple the pockets are and the width of the entire pant leg is exactly what I was looking for in order to copy my inspiration pants.

 


Zara, Madewell, Kensie, these Nordstrom Halogens


Conclusion: A great pair of casual pants, a perfectly simple design that will look great in a slinkier patterned fabric. These came together quick, in about three hours.

*Said in Vector's voice from "Despicable Me".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These look great! I love the color. I was actually looking at a very similar pair in a store yesterday but couldn't help thinking, I could just make these. Great job!